Alexander Godínez Vargas
Bufete Godinez y Asociados
Plaza Colonial, San Rafael de Escazú
Local 2-10 San José
Tel: +506 2289 5250
Fax: +506 22285115
Alexander Godínez Vargas specialises in Labor law for national and international clients. He is the Founder of Bufete Godinez y Asociados based in San José, Costa Rica and also an external advisor with Sanchez & Associates.
He graduated from the University of Costa Rica in Law, Doctor of Law Department of Labor and Social Security Law. Complutense University of Madrid, specialty in Latin American Experts in Labor Relations.
- Attorney and Notary Public, by the University of Costa Rica.
- Member of the Costa Rican Bar Association (Colegio de Abogados).
- Registered Costa Rican Notary Public.
- Juris Doctor in Labor Law by the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- Former Judge of the Labor Court of the Second Judicial District.
- Winner of the Alberto Brenes Cordoba Prize (to the best legal written book) of the Costa Rican Bar Association in 1998.
- Professor of Labor Law of the University of Costa Rica.
- Director of the Master Program in Labor Law of the UNED University.
Taught by the Training Center of the ILO in Turin (Italy), the University of Bologna (Italy) and the University of Castilla-La Mancha (Spain) September, 2004. Postgraduate Course in Constitutional Law. Taught by the University of Salamanca (Spain) January, 2006. Specialization Course for Latin American Experts in Labor Relations. Taught by the University of Castilla-La Mancha (Spain) September, 2009.
He has participated in the publication of books, work documents, support materials for professional training programs, articles in magazines, in collective works and online publications. He was named as the winner of the “Alberto Brenes Córdoba” prize of the Costa Rican Bar Association, for the best legal work of 1998.
- “Collective bargaining, social dialogue and participation in vocational training in Costa Rica”, by Cintefor / ILO, Montevideo, 2007.
- “The right to participation of workers in the field of business”, by Colegio de Abogados, Imp.LIL, San José, 1999.
- “The protection of Trade Union Freedom”, by Juricentro, San José, 1998.
Teaching & Instructor Positions:
Doctor Godínez has participated as a teacher in courses organized exclusively by the Judicial School of the Supreme Court of Justice of Costa Rica, as well as as an instructor in courses organized by national Business Organizations and in activities organized by different institutions at the national level. Has had participation as a teacher / instructor in courses organized by the Subregional Office for Central America, Haiti, Panama and the Dominican Republic of the International Labor Organization and its International Cooperation Projects, in courses organized by the Central American Economic Integration Secretariat (SIECA / Guatemala ).
“Alexander Godínez Vargas is considered a prominent practitioner in the labour and employment field. Commentators note his academic credentials and experience, deeming him “very recognised in the country for his specialisation in the area.””