Paul D. Seyferth
Seyferth Blumenthal & Harris LLC
4801 Main Street, Suite 310
Kansas City, MO 64112
Paul’s focus is on high-stakes and high-profile employment, healthcare, and business litigation. He also represents several national law firms and other lawyers in malpractice and employment claims. In the past several years, Paul has been on SBH trial teams involving the following:
- In December 2015, after over six years of litigation, the SBH team of Paul, Mike Blumenthal, Keven Karpin, and Deena Jenab obtained a final judgment of $434 million in the matter of Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City v. HCA et al. This judgment came in a commercial contract case and is believed to be one of the largest verdicts in the Missouri Court system.
- In August 2015, after a one-week trial, the SBH team of Paul and Bruce Moothart obtained a unanimous defense verdict in Davenport, Iowa, in a case involving allegations of a manufacturing defect. Plaintiff’s jury demand in closing argument was $7.8 million.
- In October 2014, after a nearly two-week trial, the SBH trial team of Paul and Kim Jones obtained a unanimous defense verdict in a retaliation case brought by a former assistant prosecutor against a county prosecutor’s office.
- In July 2014, the SBH team of Paul, Mike Blumenthal and others represented the plaintiff in a two-week accounting case that resulted in a $15 million settlement prior to closing arguments.
- In June 2014, after a nearly two-week trial, the SBH trial team of Paul and Kim Jones obtained a unanimous defense verdict in a disability case brought by a former assistant prosecutor against a county prosecutor’s office.
- In December 2013, after a nearly two-week arbitration, the SBH team of Paul and Mike Blumenthal obtained a six-figure arbitration award on behalf of a partner of a closely-held medical practice.
- In April 2012, Paul teamed with Rob Adams of Shook Hardy & Bacon on a three-week commercial fraud trial that resulted in a unanimous defense verdict on behalf of Ford Motor Credit Company. This defense verdict—in which plaintiff sought a jury award of $18 million—was designated by Missouri Lawyer’s Weekly as one of the largest defense verdicts of all cases tried in the State of Missouri in 2012.
SBH’s lawyers are nationally recognized for their expertise and deftness defending difficult employment disputes. We are particularly known for defending “high profile” cases, including claims of discrimination and harassment made against elected officials, corporate executives, and business leaders. Our expertise includes the following areas:
- Workplace discrimination (race, gender, age, disability, etc.)
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful discharge
- Wage and hour litigation (including class and collective actions)
- Breach of employment contracts
- Non-competition agreement enforcement
- Breach of the duty of loyalty
- Employment counseling and policy development
- Management training
SBH’s lawyers are also recognized for their expertise in collective bargaining and labor-related regulatory compliance advice and advocacy. Our expertise includes:
- Representation of employers in public and private sector collective bargaining and labor disputes
- Representation of employers in labor organizing drives
- Labor injunctions
- Regulatory compliance advice, investigations and advocacy concerning: NLRA; OFCCP; HIPAA; COBRA; FMLA, ADA and USERRA
SBH’s philosophy is based on the premise that clients deserve – and need – experienced and qualified lawyers handling all facets of their litigation matters, without paying abusive amounts for such service. To provide this type of client service, a firm must (1) actually be open to innovative fee arrangements that might vary according to a particular client, or a particular matter; (2) operate from a geographic location that offers easy travel options and a reasonable overhead base; (3) commit to controlling office overhead; (4) properly use technology to stay nimble, efficient, and available; and, most importantly (5) offer only the services of passionate, experienced lawyers who understand the nuance of business litigation and/or employment disputes at every stage.
Our Service Compared to Others:
All forms of business-related litigation, but especially employment matters, are too sensitive to be handled by inexperienced lawyers who do not understand how a “minor” tactical mistake could cost a client many thousands of dollars in settling a case, or worse, affect the results of a trial. Nevertheless, at most large firms, inexperienced associates (with hefty billable hour requirements) control the critical details at the heart of a matter. Large firms and their clients simply cannot afford to have senior level partners too involved in the day-to-day details of a case. That is an unfortunate – and expensive – reality. At SBH, we do not worry about whether a particular task is best suited for a junior associate, senior associate, or junior partner. We don’t believe our clients should pay for our lawyers’ “on the job” training. At SBH, experienced lawyers handle every task on every matter. And, SBH’s clients receive this service with the promptness, efficiency, and personal touch that too often is lacking in the legal profession. The end result of this philosophy is simple: SBH’s clients receive better service and better results, and pay less along the way.
“The “strategic” Paul Seyferth maintains a reputable litigation-focused practice. He is a longstanding presence in the market and is well known for his work on employment disputes.”